We are getting settled very well in our apartment. We thought we would be in a "new" apartment, meaning one without all of the goodies. We shared all of the goodies to help make everyone equal. We feel very fortunate for the things that we do have. We brought two 4" memory foam Serta mattresses, shrunk them down in a big bag from Wal-mart using a vacuum. Absolutely the best things! We sleep like babies. We brought two twins and they fit into our suitcases perfectly. We didn't bring so many clothes but we LOVE our bed. We were able to trade the double bed for two twin beds that we put together for a lovely KING size bed. WE feel thrilled with our sleeping situation. A great idea to give the teachers next year.
We kept the toaster over the microwave. I will tell you that we have a wonderful group of fellow teachers from BYU-fine, fine people.
Classes started for Lane yesterday and he is very pleased with the level of his senior group of students. Very well prepared and they are so eager to learn. I started my classes today and really enjoyed both classes. They went very smoothly. I was dragging after second two hour class as it was so HOT in the classroom. The students said it will be freezing cold in winter. These two classes were sophomores-diplomacy students. We had a great time together. One student said, "Are you a Mormon?" I said, "Why do you ask?" "Last year, the BYU teachers were devout Mormons." "Yes, I'm a devout Mormon." End of discussion. I do have 7 classes!! I teach for 3 different departments- IPP, Continuing Education (this will be really fun) and Oral English.
What an interesting experience we had at the Ward. So many people (350) the first Sunday. The RS President had all of us (11) to dinner on Sunday. A great afternoon.
Do we love China yet? We will love China very much by the time we leave. We are adjusting to leaving home, just like the college freshmen. We are adjusting better each week. We LOVE Skype and we received our first package from home today!! No, it wasn't chocolate chip cookies!
Our language skills are a bit slow. I know 5 words now and can use them appropriately and with ease! We hope to take Chinese lessons/class. We have been contacted to tutor and that should get organized soon.
On Saturday, we plant to visit an art gallery with a young college girl that was appointed to help us when we arrived. Issy met us at the airport.
So, as you see, we are beginning to love China. Getting acquainted with the different tastes of food has been a bit of a problem. Now, the weight isn't dropping off, so I guess we are doing just fine. We did go to McDonald's last. I NEVER go to McDonald's and would never dream of eating a Big Mac. Well, shut my mouth, that Big Mac was delicious! The bun was so soft and delicious and the french fries were tasty!! We didn't care for KFC but we will go back to Pizza Hut (just the girls took a trip to lunch on Saturday).
One last thing, last Friday evening we were given free tickets at the Ward meeting to attend a Labor Day celebration. We had no idea what it was but we dressed rather casual for the (didn't know what to expect) affair. It was so formal and we were so all under dressed. The food was fantastic (we had no idea there would be food) - so fancy. The press was there clicking pictures all over the place with these two dignitaries...these two people came on stage just before the terrific ballet-they were the two people from the Ward and we were given seats right up front. It pays to know people in high places!
All is well...
No comments:
Post a Comment